Wednesday 22 September 2021

Blog Ponder: World Car Free Day

 


Today is World Car Free Day. It is a day set aside to highlight the environmental pollution made by cars and encourage people to consider (and try) other options for transport like walking, bus, train, cycling, scootering, and so on.  As well as environmental benefits, the day can encourage our physical wellbeing (for example, getting exercise) and give us experiences of other ways of travelling around our communities. You can learn more about the way this day started and is celebrated here.

While we have been in Alert Level 4, many of us have not used our cars as much - or at all! The requirement to stay local has meant more people have gone for a walk or bike ride, or only used their car for short trips. At the end of the first Level 4 lockdown in 2020, a science project to monitor carbon emissions (one type of pollution from cars) studied grass clippings collected by volunteers at regular times over 12 weeks. The results showed that, in some places, the emissions were 80% lower in Level 4 than in Level 1!

Today, think about the way a car is used in your family in ordinary life (when we can travel freely at other alert levels). Below are three examples of opinions about this topic. Can you think of habits or ways you could change easily to rely less on cars? Do you think World Car Free Day is an effective idea?

Example 1: "My mum drives me to school. Then she drives my big brother to his school. We need a car."

Example 2: "I can use my scooter to get to school every morning. It will take me the same amount of time since we won't get stuck in traffic."

Example 3: "We live 4 kilometres away. There's no way I could walk or cycle to school."

In the comments below, add your ideas or respectfully respond to one of these situations, saying whether or not you agree and why. 

10 comments:

  1. Kia ora Te Ana Ako. I have really enjoyed not needing my car during lockdown. I can empathise with examples one and three. I live in Muriwai so to get to Mt Roskill I'd need to drive to the train station, then get a train, then a bus and then walk to school. Plus most days I have to go to two or three schools and don't have time to wait for buses! Maybe the people in examples 1 and 3 could still use their car but see if they could give other people a lift too so there are less cars on the road?

    ReplyDelete
  2. KiA ORA Te Ana Ak. I really enjoyed readin your blog about world car free day and I think the cars are free from driving more than 5km to 10 km per day. Like our car that we have use to drive about 17 km per day and now they drive about hardly 2 km and not much fual gone away. I really liked this blog and I hope you make more blogs like this.
    Seya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora Te Ana Ako, it's me Ibrahim from Te Waka Ako. I really liked reading your blog post. I also liked the photo you used in your blog post. Thank you for telling me if it's car free day. The blog post was amazing. Anyways stay safe. Keep up the hard work you do. Keep sharing your learning. Stay safe, kia kaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salaam Te Ana Ako, Its me Huzaifah from Waitemata. I liked reading your blog and I wonder what car free day means? But I liked reading your blog about car free day and it was so long blog your lucky to have a teacher like Mrs McLellan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kia Ora Te Ana Ako, It´ś me Shreyas from The Senior Syndicate. Great job on this Blog Post because it has a lot of Paragraphs. The photo gives me an idea of what World Car Free Day is. Great Job on the work and keep it up Te Ana Ako - Shreyas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kia ora Te Ana Ako I am Dustine from Haraki. I liked reading the blog. I think having a car free day would be good cause then we would not be polluting. This blog was cool keep up the work And stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I'm Brayden and I like your blogpost, having car free day is good and stopping climate change. Keep up the good work and stay safe with the car free day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ki Ora, Te Ana Ako!
    I'm Olive, I'm new here at Te Waka Ako...
    I read your blog and i found it very interesting! I defintly didn't know there was a World Car Free Day!
    Have a lovely day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Te Ana Ako,
    I did not know what international car day was until now. I think it is a great idea and I know lockdown is not that fun. But it does help the environment quite a bit cause people are limited on driving. I got a lot of information from your blogpost. I went to the days of the year site and I did my birthday I was very suprised.
    Thank for sharing your work.
    Erana

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.